Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Just Add Ink #115 - A Challenge Notebook

This week's challenge at Just Add Ink is a pretty sketch from Mae.  Here is my very literal interpretation, as well as the sketch:-




I find I am regularly jotting down details of challenges on little bits of paper & then drafting designs on other scraps of paper.  I thought I might get myself organised & create a little Challenge Book, to keep all the details together.  (Might negate having some of those last minute entries, lol!)

It is A6 in size (1/4 of a standard sheet).  The pages are simply photocopy paper & I printed the following details on each page before binding:-

  • Challenge Site
  • Challenge Name
  • Due Date
  • Details

I've kept the embellishment on the front very flat & covered both front & back covers with a sheet of acetate for protection.  

Thank you to the very lovely Christine Blain who showed me the baby wipe technique, which I have used on the fussy cut butterfly:-



I have room to draw in the challenge sketches/write in the colour combos, as well as scribble to my heart's content.



Once my notebook is full, I will have a handy little ready reference of sketches & colour combos = bonus!

Thanks for the fun challenge Ladies.

ETA:  Look what the lovely DT at JAI have awarded me with (Thank You!):-



Project Components  (all SU except as noted)
Cardstock:  Island Indigo, Pool Party, Whisper White
Inks:  Island Indigo, Pool Party, Taken with Teal (retired)
Stamps:  Word Play, Creative Elements
Other:  Scoring Tool, Lace Ribbon Border Punch, Framelit Dies
Non SU:  Cornelli Embossing Folder, Binding Wires, Acetate

15 comments:

Bronwyn Eastley said...

What a cool idea! I love the colours you've used and the Baby Wipe Technique on the butterfly! Hey, isn't it way past your bed time? :)

Ann Schach said...

Beautiful, Helen! And I love the idea of a challenge book!

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

This looks beautiful Helen! Love the pretty colours and that butterfly. I am amazed at how organised you are WOW! Great idea and fantastic take on the sketch. Thanks for playing at JAI this week.

Jo said...

This is fantastic Helen, on two fronts. Firstly, what a great idea to make a challenge book. I know there are heaps of challenges I'd like to participate in but I totally lose track of when they close etc. Secondly, what a beautiful challenge book you've made. I love the embosssed top portion and I love the use of the lace border poking out from the main panel. Great idea to use it like that. Thanks for joining us at JAI this week.

Nikki Spencer said...

Now that is a great idea, so pretty and practical and great use of the sketch too!
Beautifully done Helen..:0)
Great to have you play along at JAI!

Mae Collins said...

What a beautiful notebook cover and a great idea to keep your challenge entries, ideas and due dates in. Thanks for joining in with our sketch challenge this week at Just Add Ink.

Suzie said...

Hi Helen....Thank you for this wonderful idea. It's beautiful, practical and much needed in my world...I will have pleasure in making one of these and singing your praises to my stamp club girls
Love Suzanne xx

Tina said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this! My notebook isn't as pretty as yours though. I also have a page at the front where I list all the challenges and their openeing and closing days so I can see at a glance which challenges I need to word on first. Thanks for sharing with us at Just add Ink.

Trish *Spring Blossom* said...

Such a great idea!!! Love the colours you've chosen too :)

Trish
JAI Design Team

delysc said...

I LOVE this Helen! Very cool notebook and thanks so much for playing along with us at JAI this week.

Christine Blain said...

Helen, this is FABULOUS! Such a beautiful, practical book - and in your favourite colours. Perfectly personalised!! Love the embossing on the cover - well, actually, I just love the cover. Your "baby wipe" butterfly looks gorgeous, and the inside pages are so organised. Glad you scraped in by the skin of your teeth to make the deadline at JAI this week :)

Jodene said...

What a great idea Helen, and I just love your book cover! Great use of the sketch. Thanks for playing along this week at JAI :)

Lynne Armstrong said...

Ha ha...can't fool 'em Helen, they knew you scraped in by the skin of your teeth bwaahaahaahaa
LOVE your little challenge book. Brilliant idea and I love the cover you made for it. Imagine making it in those colours LOL Anyone would think you were a bit partial to teals :) :) :)
Big hugs xx
PS Being late on commenting does have its benefits...I get to congratulate you on being Top Pick for the challenge :)...well deserved

H2 :) said...

To my dear (but cheeky) friends, Christine & Lynne, I had this posted a whole day before the deadline, lol!!! :p xo

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Well deserved, Helen! This is so fresh and beautiful. Love that baby wipe butterfly! Hugs xxx