Friday, April 1, 2011

Inkspirations Challenge #64 - Autumn Medallion

Hithere, back again for another great Inkspirations Challenge. This week Keesh has set these colours:-


I would have loved to use SU's new French Foliage stamp set to make some Autumn leaves with these colours, but alas, I don't have it (YET!) :)  So I decided to drag out the Medallion stamp & create this:-


Now you may be wondering where the Poppy is, but it is there in the medallion, in between the Mustard & the Cajun.  To get this graduated effect, I inked the entire stamp with the Mustard inkpad, then using the Cajun inkpad, I inked around the edges.  Then I used a sponge, inked with Poppy to soften the area  between the Mustard & the Cajun.  (As I was sponging, I made sure to clean off my sponge before I inked it up again, so I didn't transfer any Mustard or Cajun ink onto the Poppy inkpad.)

To make the "spikey" Cajun ring, I used the scallop circle punch.  I punched my shape & then used a small amount of snail to attach it to a piece of scrap paper.  I then inserted this sheet back into the punch, lining up the inward points of the scallop with the centres of the original scallops.  When you punch it gives a nifty spiked edge.  This idea has been around for quite a while, but if you haven't seen it before, here's how it's done:-


As for the background, when I was rummaging through my ribbon collection I discovered a piece of tulle.  Always keen to experiment, I sponged through this with Mustard ink to get the cool background.  The entire main panel is raised with dimensional adhesive.  Take a look:-


Although this was not the first idea that sprang to mind when I saw these colours, I was really happy with the result.  :)

Make sure you go & check out what the rest of the team have created.  You will be amazed at the range of ideas they have provided with these colours!  Hope you can play along:-
Inkspirations Challenges Site Makeesha Brandi Carrie Cindy Helen Ilina Kirsty Lee-Anne Marisa ReneƩ
Card Components  (SU unless noted)
Cardstock:  Whisper White (oops, that should have been Vanilla!), More Mustard, Cajun Craze
Stamps:  Medallion, Vintage Labels, Kaiser Prairie Lane (inner circle)
Inks:  More Mustard, Cajun Craze, Poppy Parade
Other:  Scallop Circle Punch, 1.1/2" Circle Punch, Jewellery Tag Punch, White Grommet, Miscellaneous Ribbon, Dimensional adhesive, Tulle

14 comments:

Nikki Spencer said...

This is great Helen, love the way you have offset the punch. your Tulle background technique is So..So clever, it's a great effect.

Christine Blain said...

FABULOUS, my friend! I am very impressed with how neatly you punched that 'spiky' scalloped circle; must give that a try (would you believe I haven't seen that done??). Beautiful way to use these colours, Helen.

Kim Singdahlsen said...

What a fabulous card! And it's just full of new ideas for me to try!

Alison said...

Stunning card!!!! I want it!! :)

Lee-Anne said...

Just gorgeous Helen...I love the graduated effect, it looks perfect. Very clever use of the scallop punch and I love the white grommet too. Xox

Cindy Major said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, my dear! I LOVE the gradation on the Medallion, it looks awesome! You did great with the color challenge!

TFS!
Cindy

Marisa said...

Love how you used this week's colours, Helen! That medallion looks fabulous with the variegated colors on it and your center medallion is fabulous. Great card :)

Sue Bayliss said...

Such lovely autumny colours love the centre of the medallion

Tammy Hanlon said...

I love the medallion in those colours it looks stunning and thanks for sharing the tip on the scallop punch.
Tammy

kirstyscardnscrap said...

Stunning Helen! Gorgeous idea. Thanks for the hints and tips too! Love the medallions colouring!
Kirsty

Suzie said...

Hi Helen.... this card is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the little trick with the scallop punch. I haven't seen this one. Will teach that at my next stamp club.
Cheers Suzie xx

Linda Beeson said...

This is just GORGEOUS!!! Fabulous colors and what a clever use of the punch.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Wonderful take on this colour combo! Why can't I think of amazing ideas like this??? Gorgeous, Helen! Hugs xxaxx

Lynne Armstrong said...

WOW...love this Helen...it's stunning. Very clever inking and punching :)
Hugs xx