Friday, February 18, 2011

Inkspirations Challenge #58 - Orange 18!

This week's challenge at Inkspirations is a great colour one.  Feast your eyes on these awesome colours:-

 

This year we have lots of 18th birthdays happening, with the first family one coming up in March.  One of our nephews has always loved orange, so when I saw these colours, I immediately thought of him.  Here is the card I have created:-


I decided to try different proportions of the colours than I would normally use, with just a touch of white & LOTS of Tangerine Tango!!!  I quite like the effect the heavier colours give.

I die-cut an "18" in Tangerine with a matching mat in Espresso & then gave the Tangerine numbers a very liberal coating of Crystal Effects to give it a beautiful gloss.  I've discovered the rules to using Crystal Effects are use lots & then walk away!!!  I left these numbers to dry overnight & didn't even peek at them while they were drying for fear of planting a great big fingerprint in them....  The orange layer has been popped up on dimensionals.

The circular tag has been created using a stamp from the Punch Bunch set.  When I mounted the "genuine article" stamp I cut the centre out which read "true friend" & mounted it separately, to give more mileage to the stamp.  The outer "HAPPY" ring is from a retired set.  I then punched a small star which has had a coating of clear glaze & mounted it with a dimensional.  The white layer is also raised from the Marina layer.  The whole tag has been lifted up on a double layer of dimensionals, to make it sit above the "18".  Here's a close up of the deets:-

 

For more inspiration on how to use this awesome colour mix, go check out the rest of the team at Inkspirations & make sure you play along...
The Challenge Site

Kirsty
Makeesha
Renée






 Brandi
Carrie
Helen
Ilina
Lee-Anne
Marisa
 

Card Components:
Cardstock:  Early Espresso, Tangerine Tango, Marina Mist & Whisper White
Stamps:  Extreme Elements, Punch Bunch & Starring You (retired)
Inks:  Pumpkin Pie (sorry, don't have any Tangerine), Marina Mist & Early Espresso
Other:  Crystal Effects, Glaze Pen, Dimensional Adhesives, Star Punch, Mat Pack & Piercing Tool, Sponges, Robo

12 comments:

Sandra said...

Your card looks fantastic Helen! I'm not a huge fan of orange but I LOVE this!!

Marisa said...

Well done! Love the bright orange and the shiny 18. Fabulous take on this week's colours :)

Paula said...

Excellent!! Love the colours too, bright and cheery. My rule of thumb for CE is to leave overnight too and just look at the results!

kirstyscardnscrap said...

This card rocks. I am loving the strong colour presence.CE's looks fabulous!
Kirsty

Christine Blain said...

This, my friend, is INCREDIBLE!! It made me feel instantly happy, so I am sure your orange-loving nephew will be blown away by it. Loving that starry background, and the fabulous layered circles. I am always in awe of your successful use of Crystal Effects; I am far too impatient! Great, great card - the balance of colours is truly inspired!!

Lynne Armstrong said...

Everything about this is fabulous Helen...gorgeous colours, beautiful glossy 18 (w/out fingerprints lol), starry b'ground and that brilliant little tag...LOVE it :)
Hugs xx

Makeesha Byl said...

WOW Helen, I LOVE that mega die-cut number! it looks so amazing all glossed up with the crystal effects. You are so right about having to leave it alone to dry too! Fabulous job with the colours! THanks for your inspiration this week. Keesh x

Beedubya said...

Awesome, Helen! Crystal Effect is my nemesis. It's siren song calls to me...Touch me before I'm dryyyyyyy!

xo B.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Helen ... this is fantastic ... and the Crystal Effects is total genius! Looks so funky and perfect for an 18 yr old boy! I have no idea how you managed to make TT look so fab!? I struggled with this combo! Hugs xxaxx

Kim Singdahlsen said...

Helen - it's so fun! That shiny, bright 18 and all the great layers on the circular tag - it's wonderful!

I am finally reading all the comments on my blog and I am so glad that I finally did, because you have written such encouraging works - and now I have discovered your blog!

You do fantastic work! From bright, to cute, to stunningly gorgeous! So I am thrilled to pass along a little surprise. Check it out here. I hope you accept as I would love to see who you pass it along to.

Thanks for everything!
Kim

Carrie Gaskin said...

Just drooling over that use of Crystal Effects! If it were my project you'd be seeing my fingerprints in it for sure! Great job!

Paula Sievers said...

You have just solved my problem with coming up with a 21st male birthday card. I am seriously casing this one. Fantastic job. Ps. Thank you for leaving comments on my blog too.