Friday, February 11, 2011

Inkspirations Challenge #57 - Skunky Love

Woohoo, it's Inkspirations Challenge time again & this week the Team have a great sketch for you to play with, as well as lots of lovely inspiration to get you motivated.  Make sure you hop on over to the Challenge Site to have a look & play along.

Here is the sketch:-

I have flipped the sketch on its side & created a little bit of skunky love:-


My daughter asked, "why do they put skunks on love themed things - they smell!!!"  LOL.  I actually think this little guy is quite cute. 

The background, including the faux border stitching, & the fussy cut skunk have been taken from the same sheet of heavy designer paper that has been wallowing in my stash for a considerable amount of time.  I have versamark stamped & heat embossed little sketched hearts along the black panel.  Here's a close up including the skunk's glossy nose & heart:-


Now I actually made two cards for this week's challenge.  Here is my first attempt:-


Does anybody else have a crafting adversary?  I certainly do - it's patterned paper!!!  I love how it looks in a full sheet but I tend to run in the other direction rather than use it.  I see so many gorgeous creations that feature beautiful prints, but I tend to stick to rather safe patterns (& only ONE at a time!!)  Anyway, I thought I would challenge (insert *force*) myself to use some prints when I found this gorgeous fruit & vegie paper.  I ended up using 4 prints from 3 different companies but I'm still not convinced I like it.  My daughter thought it was very cute & then asked who had made it.  (Hmmm, does that tell you something about how often I pull out the prints?) 

So, what scares you in your crafting?

It's been great to see so many people playing along in recent challenges, here are the links so you can play along too:-
 The Challenge Site


Cindy
Kirsty
Makeesha
Renée







Brandi
Carrie
Helen
Ilina
Lee-Anne
Marisa
 

Card Components: 
Skunk Card
Cardstock:  Basic Black, Whisper White
Printed Paper:  Sorry, no markings on the sheet  :(
Stamps:  SU Short & Sweet - sentiment & hearts
Inks:  SU Riding Hood Red, Versamark
Other:  Clear Embossing Powder, Dimensionals, SU Modern Label Punch, Kaiser Black Pearls, Satin Ribbon, Clear Glaze Pen
Fruit & Veg:
Cardstock:  Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla
Printed Paper:  SU Good Morning Sunshine (retired), October Afternoon Root Cellar & Cosmo Cricket Material Girl Measuring Up
Stamps:  SU Afterthoughts
Inks:  SU Soft Suede
Other:  Twine, Sponges

8 comments:

Sandra said...

Both cards are so different but both so cute!! I really LOVE and admire cards made with different patterned papers but for some reason when I try it, it just doesn't turn out right. Maybe I should challenge (force LOL) myself to do it more too :)

Lynne Armstrong said...

Mr Skunk is very cute...smelly maybe, but still cute lol :) Looks like he's going to jump right out and hug you with those wide open arms. Love the red, white & black and the ribbon 'panel'
I also really like the fruit & vegie card...I'm sure it will grow on you if you leave it out and look at it for a while :) The colours are gorgeous and I love how you've used the papers together.
Hugs xx

Christine Blain said...

Oh, Helen, so many things in your post made me laugh out loud!! The skunk card is altogether TOO cute! Just love the beautiful little details, and the immaculately finished project. I totally understand your anxieties about patterned paper. Having said that, you did a beautiful job with the 'fruit and veg' card!! I love it.

Cindy Major said...

Okay, how cute is that skunk?! And you don't need to be scared of patterned papers anymore - your card looks great! I'm telling you, patterned paper becomes really addictive really fast, so a couple more cards made with it and you won't be able to stop reaching for it!

(LOL at your daughter wondering who made the card, though...)

Have a great weekend!
Cindy :)

Marisa said...

Love the way you used the skunk. Darling little card with the vertical ribbon strips. Second card is also well done. Great takes on this week's sketch.

I'm with you re: the DP. I'm happy to get one piece on a card never mind more than one LOL! Think I need to buy packages of it that coordinate rather than single sheets like I do.

Makeesha Byl said...

OH I am so with you on the designer paper Helen!!! I LOVE how you mixed up the sketch and that skunk sure is adorable!!! Love the fruit too! Thanks so much for your inspiration this week Helen, Love Keesh x

Beedubya said...

They're both adorable but that skunk takes the cake! LOve him! My crafting nemesis would have to be rub ons. I screw them up everytime. :)

xo B.

Carrie Gaskin said...

I'm with Brandi - rub ons are not my friend. Nope. No way. I just love this card, Helen. So fresh and fun!