Friday, February 25, 2011

Inkspirations Challenges #59 - It's All About the Buttons!

Hi Everyone, there were some great entries in last week's challenge (but I'm sorry that I didn't get time to visit everyone's individual blogs.)

Anyway, this week the Inkspirations Team have a nice, easy sketch for you:-


The first thing that struck me about the sketch was the three circular embellies down the right hand side.  They screamed to me to be buttons - therefore my Inkspiration card is "All About the Buttons!"


I wanted to do something special with the buttons, so I bought a pack of white Fimo modelling clay to make my own.  I rolled out a piece of Fimo onto baking paper & then used the lid of a large texta (marker) to cut out each button.  (I dusted the lid with flour to help stop the clay from sticking, but it still took a bit of shaking to get each button out of the lid once it was cut.)  Then I stamped into the surface of each button with a stamp featuring two concentric dotty circles.  I then pierced two holes in each button & baked them in the oven to harden.  Once they had cooled I gave them a blast of clear spray gloss, added some embroidery thread & attached them to my card.

Here are the buttons being made:-


The rest of the card is pretty simple, with an "Anya" image from the Greeting Farm being stamped & coloured with ink pads & an aquapainter.  The white panel has been embossed with an embossing folder & the turquoise panel has been embossed with a texture plate, which gives a softer, less pronounced effect.  Here is the card:-


You can click on any of the photos for a larger view.  :)

Card Components:
Cardstock:  SU Melon Mambo, Tempting Turquoise & Whisper White
Stamps:  The Greeting Farm "Miss Anya", SU Seeing Spots (retired)
Inks:  Ranger Forever Black Ink, SU Tempting Turquoise, Melon Mambo, So Saffron, Taken With Teal & Blush Blossom
Other:  Fiskars Heart Texture Plate, Cuttlebug Swiss Dots E/Folder, Dimensional Adhesives, Satin Ribbon, Aquapainter, Clear Glaze, White Glaze, Fimo Modelling Clay, Clear Gloss Spray, Embroidery Thread

9 comments:

Cindy Major said...

Wow, you made your own buttons - how cool!!!! Love the ANya image and how you colored her. She looks very sweet!

Happy weekend!
Cindy

Renée said...

How cool are YOU?! Love the home made buttons!!! Great card, Helen!

Marisa said...

How absolutely fun with the home made buttons, Helen!! Love them :) Great colouring of the image and use of the sketch :)

Paula said...

Oh!! I have some Fimo just lying around!! I need to go make some buttons now! What a super idea and a fun card Helen. You are an inspiration ♥

Lynne Armstrong said...

Having seen this IRL I know just how gorgeous it is :) Love Miss Anya with her perfect colouring and those little Fimo buttons are brilliant.
Hugs xx

Pam S said...

I love your card, it's SO cute!! And the handmade buttons are pretty darn awesome!

Christine Blain said...

Only you, my patient, creative friend, would make buttons!!! LOL. I love how the dotty pattern on the buttons complements the embossed panel. Your colouring is to-die-for. Gorgeous card!

Carrie Gaskin said...

Are you kidding me? You made your own buttons? You're a rock star! This is just lovely.

Betty said...

absolutely fabulous! i love fimo! so pretty in white!