Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Paper Players Challenge #107 - Back to School Rules with a Die-Cut Apple!

This week's challenge at The Paper Players is "Back to School RULES!"  Now mention of school always invokes that thought of "an apple for the teacher" & that is what I have created this week:-


A die-cut apple card!  I've used the petal cone die to get the basic shape of my apple, but I adjusted the width, so the apple was not so fat, by folding my cardstock in half & bringing the fold away from the centre crease line, like this:-


The bottom curved edge of the apple was cut by hand.  To disguise the crease lines in my apple shape, I've embossed it with the lattice embossing folder, & used just a "touch" of sponging, lol!

I traced around my embossed apple to get the shape for my actual card. The leaf was punched from the blossom petals builder punch & the stem was made from the round tab punch.  The stem was sandwiched in between the embossed layer of the apple & the actual card.  A layered tag, attached with cherry baker's twine completes the project.  I think it kinda looks like one of those straight sided Jonathon Apples - yum!

We hope you can join us this week - here's the Challenge details & link, & below it you will find links to the Team, so you can check out all their gorgeous school inspired creations.  Obviously I am not the only one who associates apples with school, as you will find a couple more apples there too, lol.  :)


Lesley Croghan - Always Playing with Paper
Ann Schach - The Stampin' Schach
Anne Marie Hile - Stampin' Anne
Jaydee - Jaydee's Stamping
LeAnne Pugliese - Wee Inklings
Nance Leedy - Canopy Crafts
Amy White - White House Stamping
Dawn Easton - Treasure Oiler Designz
Jen Arkfeld - Stamped Silly

Card Components:  (All SU)
Cardstock:  Cherry Cobbler, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip, Confetti White
Inks:  Cherry Cobbler, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip
Stamps:  Oval All
Other:  Petal Cone Die, Fancy Label Punch, Large Oval Punch, Round Tab Punch, Blossom Petals Builder Punch, Square Lattice Embossing Folder, Cherry Bakers Twine, Dimensionals, Scoring Tool

11 comments:

Bronwyn Eastley said...

This is amazing, Helen. I just love how you can see beyond a die to create something 'out of the box'. I thought you had used an electronic cutting machine. This is perfect for the challenge.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Wow! You amaze me, Helen! Where does your talent come from? It is so endless! Hugs xxx

Christine Blain said...

Very clever use of your die, Helen! This is such a cute project!!

Dawn Easton said...

Helen, this is brilliant! LOVE your creativity!!! Fabulous card and thank you for explaining it....fun!

Nance Leedy said...

Holy guacamole, Helen, this is GENIUS! Way to work that die and your pictorial makes it look easy-peasy. What a great project for this challenge. Love the addition of the twine and tag. Thanks for rockin' my challenge this week! Brilliant!

LeAnne said...

Very, very clever & creative! Love it!

Lyndal said...

GORGEOUS card Helen, perfect for a teacher!
Many thanks for choosing my card as A Cut Above this week too - MUCH appreciated :) :) :)

Nikki Spencer said...

Another very cute and clever project, you never cease to amaze Helen and it is even cuter IRL. Thanks for sharing the tutorial, always a great bonus with your projects. xxx

Amy White said...

Wow, what a clever idea! Love the texture and the sponging, and the little tag is a great finishing touch.

Marybeth said...

Such a creative idea! Love the textured apple and color.

Anne Marie Hile said...

Helen, you get an A+ for rocking the creativity on this sweet card! What a fun idea! The twine and the little tag finish it off perfectly and I love the added texture. You always inspire me with your fun projects! :)