Friday, May 25, 2012

Dynamic Duos #3 & RetroSketches #12 - Just Because

I have been wanting to play along in both the RetroSketches & Dynamic Duos Challenges this week, ever since I saw the DT samples from Arielle & Kim, both who incorporated a bee in their design.

I finally found some time to get creating, so here's my card:-


& here are the Challenge details (click on the graphics to go straight to the Challenge sites):-



The Dynamic Duos challenge has a dessert option of dry embossing, which I have done to the daffodil panel, using a little something I have had in my stash for quite a while, but had not yet used.  I ended up using it in three ways on this card.  Firstly as a "texture mat" to create the dry embossing, secondly as a stencil, to sponge the faux honeycomb onto the white panel & thirdly as a stamp, to add a small versamark circle to the base card, at the bottom left hand corner of the white panel (you can see it a little better in the following photo).  I heat embossed the ink with black embossing powder.


My secret weapon - sequin waste - that I found in a haberdashery store last year, when my daughter was creating a tutu.  The texture in the yellow panel is fabulous, but I had difficulty capturing it in the photo.  I layered up three pieces of the sequin waste & sent it through the Big Shot with two silicone embossing mats, which nicely "squished" the cardstock into the holes.  I then sponged the raised outlines with daffodil ink to add some extra depth.  :)

The bee has been coloured with inkpads, blender pens & markers, & has an extra set of vellum wings which are all sparkly thanks to my spica glitter pen.

Card Components:  (all SU except as noted)
Cardstock:  Basic Black, Daffodil Delight, Confetti White
Inks:  Basic Black, Staz On Black, Daffodil Delight, Versamark, Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip
Stamps:  Best Yet (retired), Nature Walk
Other:  Dimensionals, Grosgrain Ribbon (retired), Black Embossing Powder, Circle Punch to create "stamp"
Non SU:  Spica Pen, Sequin Waste

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Gorgeous card Helen, love the way your polka dots are faded. And that bee looks so realistic...just like he could buzz right off the page! Thanks for playing along with us at Dynamic Duos!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Helen, this is a really pretty card and I love the technique you shared. It gives such a cool effect, so perfect to compliment the little bee. So glad you joined us this week over at Dynamic Duos! :)

Melissa said...

Oh my! This is such a wonderful CAS design, Helen! LOVE that little bee! The honeycomb is fabulous and I love how you created it! This is true creativity! :) Thanks for joining us at Dynamic Duos this week!

Sabrina said...

A gorgeous CAS and striking colours! Love it.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Oh wow! I love how you used the embossing folder. I thought that was a stamped image of the honeycomb at first. This is such an adorable card. Lovely to have you playing along again at Dynamic Duos :)

Fiona Harrison said...

That is so cool, and very creative!

Christine Blain said...

This is fabulous, Helen - I know, because I've seen it 'in real life'! Love, love, love your creativity; you have the best ideas!

Nikki Spencer said...

This card is just so cool Helen & even more so IRL, the detail on that bee with it's little vellum wings is amazing! You are just so inspiring!

Arielle ~ SnappyStamper said...

Wow, this is so awesome! Love the embossing - I'm an embossing nut! Thank you for playing with us at RS!