Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Inkspirations Challenge #71 - Two for One!!

This week's challenge at Inkspirations is a cool sketch:-


Two very special little boys we know are celebrating their first birthday soon with a jungle themed party.  I rotated the sketch 90 degrees & came up with these cards:-




I used a mix of DSP in bright colours for the panelling (using multiple DSPs is a bit of a challenge for me, so I figure I had a win!)  I created the embossed, die cut #1 for each card, using a technique of Penny Duncan's, shared with me by my wonderful friend Lynne.

Here is a step by step on the #1.

First I die cut a #1 using my Robo (olive green on right in photo).

Then I cut 4 identical #1s that were approximately 3/16" (2mm) smaller than the original #1.  I glued these four #1s together, to form a "chipboard" stack (emerald green on left in photo).


I made a big shot sandwich, consisting of MPP (fully open), 2 tan embossing mats, my cardstock number, my "chipboard" stack & then 2 clear plates.


How scratchy is my top plate???


Holding my breath, I cranked the whole lot through the Big Shot, & ended up with a beautifully embossed edge on the #1.


I coloured up the animals using So Saffron Ink, another darker yellow marker & a Pumpkin Pie marker.  I matted & mounted the circles onto the small scalloped circle & popped them up on dimensionals.  When I went to do the sentiments, I knew I wanted to use tags, but wanted to use a longer sentiment than those in the Tiny Tags set.  I had a "Happy Dance Discovery", when I realised the Word Window Punch & the Jewellery Tag Punch are the same size.  I stamped & punched the sentiment using the Word Window & then used the Jewellery Tag Punch to make my tag ends.  Yippee!!!

Here's how:-






The options are endless, if you want, you can cut a 3/8' wide strip as long as you need & then punch the ends, see the bottom tag:-


For more inspiration on how to use this great sketch, go check out the rest of the team at Inkspirations.  Hope you are inspired to play along with us this week:-








The Challenge Site

Brandi
Carrie
Helen
Ilina
Lee-Anne
Marisa
 

Card Components: (All SU except as noted)
Cardstock:  Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Riding Hood Red, Pacific Point, So Saffron, Old Olive
DSP:  A mix of retired papers
Stamps:  Fox & Friends, Teeny Tiny Sentiments
Inks:  Riding Hood Red, Pacific Point, So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie marker, Choc Chip marker
Other:   Scallop Circle, 1.3/8" Circle, Jewellery Tag Punch, Word Window Punch, Old Olive Brad, Dimensionals
Non SU:  1.1/2" Circle Punch, Yellow Marker, Yellow Brad