Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Paper Players Challenge #116 - A Cheeky Cup!

This week LeAnne is our Hostess at The Paper Players Challenge #116 & she has presented us all with a fabulous & fun challenge:-


LeAnne & I were having a chat behind the scenes about this challenge & LeAnne suggested it could be a "cup" of any kind, perhaps even a bra cup. Well, with that idea firmly planted in my mind, I set about creating this week's card. Here's the unassuming front of my project:-


& here's the inside:-


I've made this fun pop up card for my sweet hubby, who is always so supportive. He's definitely a keeper!  ♥

Here's a closer view of those perky little cups:-


& here's a bit of a mini tute on how to make them yourself.  :)

(You can click on the image to view larger.)
I've used:-
  • Ornament Punch
  • 2.1/2" circle punch
  • a length of the new eyelet border cut from the Finishing Touches Edgelits
  • a piece of  1/8" or 1/4" ribbon
  • a scrap of paper to join the two cups
  • an embellishment for the centre (I used an itty bitty punch flower & a pearl/rhinestone)
Firstly punch two ornament shapes. Then slide the ornament shape into the circle punch, so the point of the ornament is on the cutting edge & the outside of the "neck" of the ornament is sitting on the cutting edge. Punch. Discard the skinny piece. On the fat piece, trim the "neck" of the ornament off completely & discard.

Repeat this process with the other piece. If you are using printed paper, make sure you cut a left & right side to make a proper pair.  :)

Next you will need to neaten the loopy pattern on one edge of the eyelet border strip. Then cut wedge shape notches out of the bottom edge of the strip so you can curve it around the edge of the bra cup. Run a strip of adhesive on the reverse side of your bra cup. Then, starting with the neatened edge at the top, adhere the border strip, curving it as you stick (note - this paper strip is quite delicate, so be gentle with it or you may tear it).  

Join the two cups together by adding a small strip of scrap paper at the back. (You will be able to see it through the lacy trim at this stage, but it will be covered by your central embellishment.)

Fold a length of ribbon in half & adhere the two layers together at the cut end. Repeat for other side.  Attach the ribbon straps to the back of each cup. Add your embellishment & voila, mini paper lingerie!

Tip: I lined the back of my mini bra with another set of paper cups to hide the ends of the ribbon, the bottom edge of the border strips & to make the joining of the cups stronger.  

Obviously I didn't have an internal sentiment that related to bras, so I whipped this one up on the computer, matching my ink colour to my choc chip cardstock.  I punched the sentiment with the word window punch, & then trimmed the ends with the jewellery tag punch to form an elongated tag (pictures on how to do it in this post).

You can see all the other fabulous cups from the Design Team here:-

Lesley Croghan (taking a well earned break) - Always Playing with Paper
Ann Schach - The Stampin' Schach
Anne Marie Hile - Stampin' Anne
Jaydee - Jaydee's Stamping
LeAnne Pugliese - Wee Inklings
Nance Leedy - Canopy Crafts
Amy White - White House Stamping
Dawn Easton - Treasure Oiler Designz
Jen Arkfeld - Stamped Silly

What kind of cup will you make this week? We'd love to see what you create, so please share it with us at The Paper Players!

Card Components: (All SU)
Card Components: Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Daffodil Delight
DSP: Choc Chip (retired), Brights DSP Stack
Ink: Daffodil Delight, Chocolate Chip
Stamps: Curly Cute
Other: Ornament Punch, 2.1/2" Circle Punch, Jewellery Tag Punch, Word Window Punch, Itty Bitty Punch, Finishing Touches Edgelits, Grosgrain Ribbon, Basic Jewels Pearl, Satin Ribbon (retired), Bakers Twine

24 comments:

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

I had a good giggle at this design ... And at the "pun". Well done Helen for thinking outside the square. Hugs xxx

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Well, that's a novel idea for the challenge. Brought a smile to my face at the end of the weekend. Awesome!

Fiona Harrison said...

Very cool, and a bit cheeky. Great job.

scrapperjen said...

Lol! Very cute take on the theme. I love it!

stampwithsandy said...

This card was my first laugh of the day, Helen! Nice cups, LOL! I bet hubby cracked up, too. Thanks for sharing the how-to.

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my goodness, Helen....this one made me giggle....hehe! Love it!

I've always wanted to make one of these but had no clue. Really appreciate the tutorial!

Jen Arkfeld said...

I'm still smiling - ! Those are some really nice cups! :) Love it Helen!

Nance Leedy said...

LOL! The comments here are almost as much fun as your post and your fabulous cups!! Brilliant idea, Helen and i love the unassuming front of your card. Thanks for sharing the fantastic tutorial, too! Can't wait to make one myself!!

Cindee said...

Super cute Helen! Never would have thought to use those punches to make a bra!

Jaydee said...

Helen, this is awesome. It brings to mind the yellow dot bikini song! I LOVE the lace you managed to put around the top of the cups and would never have thought of such a creative use of the ornament punch.
Jaydee

LeAnne said...

Woohoo, I already told you that I LOVED this card, but of course, seeing the unassuming front of it made the inside even cuter!! Your DH will love it, and thanks for the sweet little details on how to do it!! THANKS for making this fun card!!!

Judi Sparks said...

So fun!

Lynne Armstrong said...

At least I can see where that boy of yours got his flair for engineering Helen...he just didn't choose paper engineering like his mum lol This is brilliant! Who else could think of turning an ornament punch into a bra!! I'm sure Mr H was tickled pink with it...or is that tickled yellow?? :)
Big hugs xx

Christyne - Stampin UP!® Demonstrator said...

LOL! Nice take on the cups!!!

Nancy said...

Wow your mind sure was thinking "out of the box", adorable card bound to put a smile on your face!

Gisela said...

What a wonderful idea specially this month, I must make one. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I'm still smiling!!!1

Nikki Spencer said...

These are just too cute and clever! l love the way your mind works...:0)
Thankyou for my gorgeous blue version today, they did make me chuckle and my "Cup" runneth over with gratitude. Hug's. xxx
I will definitly be having a go great pic tutorial.

Karen Clark said...

OMGee, going to chuckle all day!! Great post - you've got a new fan!! You'll have 100 followers in no time. *.*

ileana said...

Hi Helen! what a creative clever girl you are!!! love how you use all your punches, have a wonderful day! hugs

Ann Schach said...

What a hoot! A fabulously creative take on the challenge, Helen!

Amy White said...

Hee hee! Love how you think outside the box Helen - so clever!!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Helen, you rocked this challenge! What a fun way to think outside the "traditional" cup! Awesome tutorial, too. Never would have guessed those ta-ta's came from the ornament punch. You are so creative! :)

Joanna said...

I have seen a lot of bikini and bra shaped cards but yours is my favourite. Very clever and so pretty.

BIF

Jen said...

Thank you for this "support" card! I love it!!!...I made it as a popup also and will give this to my husband as you did for Father's day....
Mahalo Nui loa Kakou!

Jennifer