Friday, July 17, 2015

CASE-ing the Catty #39 - Brick Wall Embossing Folder

Welcome!  This week's CASE-ing the Catty inspiration comes from the Project Life section of the Stampin' Up! Annual Catalogue (pages 49-54) & the Crew have some fantastic projects to get you feeling creative!


You may have come direct to my post or via Julia's awesome projects.  You will find a link at the end of my post to move to the next blog on the Hop.  If you get lost on the way, there is a complete list of participants on the CTC blog.  If you are feeling inspired, you may even like to join us by leaving a link to your project in the comments of the CTC post & we will add you to the blog role.  :)

I used the very basic layout of the grey & white striped Project Life card at the bottom of page 52 as the starting point to create this card:-



I was aiming for a retro industrial kind of look.  :)  I created the brick wall by embossing a piece of Whisper White cardstock with the Brick Wall embossing folder from SU.  I masked the section of the wall that I wanted to appear "painted" & used a brayer & Crumb Cake ink to get the base colour of the unmasked bricks, then added Soft Suede with a rubber stamp offcut.  (I used the technique shared by Cecile here, but I stamped off my ink several times before I added it to the card to achieve a soft colour variation.)   Once I was happy with the colour of the bricks, I masked off the coloured bricks & an area in between to create the two lines.  I sponged them first with Soft Sky ink & then applied the Soft Sky ink pad directly to the cardstock.

I punched a star from the Itty Bitty Accents Punch Pack & sponged Marina Mist through the stencil. The finishing touch was one of the cute wooden sentiments from the Expressions Natural Elements pack:-


My inspiration for the colours used on this card came from Bronwyn's new concept "Under The Colour Tree" (at Addinkitive Designs).  Bron has been providing weekly colour suggestions & is holding a linky party where you can add projects using the colours provided.  I used TCT#4 (you can find all the details here):-


Next stop on the CASE-ing the Catty Hop is Liz, with her fabulous cards (simply click on the graphic):-

http://lillylovespaper.blogspot.com/2015/07/ctc39-project-life.html

Thanks for stopping by.  :)

Card Components
All Stampin' Up!

7 comments:

Rachel Palmieri said...

Amazing card, Helen. Love what you've done with the bricks.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Hi Helen, this was a lovely surprise to see you using TCT inspiration. I always love your cards and this one is truly awesome. It has inspired me to crack out that new embossing folder and give it a whirl.

Lillybet said...

Helen this is STUNNING. Love your creation. Ii love Cecile's work and this technique is new to me. Thanks so much for sharing your gorgeous card. Even reminded me of the glossy tiles in the London Underground with the colours. Beautiful.

Alison Barclay said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I love what you did with the background colouring and the layout is lovely. :)

Emma Palonek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma Palonek said...

WOW! I am in love with your brick wall. It totally makes the whole card 'rock'!

Julia said...

LOVE LOVE your colouring on the brick wall!! This is definitely a technique I want to try!!