Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Inkspirations Sketch Challenge #53 - Graduate Owl

This week the challenge at Inkspirations is a wonderful sketch:-


& here is the card I created for my niece, who recently completed her Bachelor of Science (woohoo, go Sarah!):-

 

I've kept to formal colours with this card, but added the quirky owl to make it fun.   The entire card front has been embossed with SU's Lattice Embossing Folder.  The texture this folder creates is just gorgeous & it looks great used either side up.

Both the mustard & the "latin script" panels have had the edges sponged.

I've punched the owl & given him a set of outstretched wings using the scallop oval punch (a big thank you to the lovely Christine Blain for this clever idea!)  I've created a mortarboard for him using the curly label punch to get the peaked section over his eyes & then freehand cut the sides, top & the tassel.  He has also been chalked, glazed & popped up on dimensionals:-


I thought I would be really brave this week & add a special ribbon detail to this card.  Usually I will stick to a knot or bow, or just keep my ribbon flat but this time I have really challenged myself & used "scrunched ribbon".  Gasp!  Actually it's pleated, I couldn't challenge myself THAT much!  lol


The ribbon is simply attached to the card by the decorative brad with a tiny dab of adhesive behind the pleats.  The right tail of the ribbon is completely loose, but sits beautifully.  :)  I am really happy how it turned out.

Hope Ms. Sarah B.Sc. likes it!

Now there is lots of lovely eye candy from the rest of the Team to get you inspired & creating, so make sure you go check it out & play along:-




 The Challenge Site

Cindy
Kirsty
Makeesha
Renée







Brandi
Carrie
Helen
Ilina
Lee-Anne
Marisa
 

Card Components
Cardstock:  SU Basic Black, Whisper White, More Mustard & Early Espresso, Bazzill Linen Black, White Photocopy Paper (Rolled Degree)
DSP:  Kaiser Undercover
Stamps:  SU Teeny Tiny Sentiments
Inks:  SU Basic Black, More Mustard & Crumb Cake
Other:  SU Scallop Oval, Wide Oval, Curly Label & Owl Punches, Dimensionals, Black Spica Glitter Pen, Clear Glaze Pen, Hodgepodge Hardware ("Genuine" Brad), Black Satin Ribbon (2 sizes)