Monday, June 28, 2010

Welcome to Abby & Walter's New Home (MPS 35)


This week the challenge at Michelle Perkett's Studio is Cutting, Cutting, Cutting!!!  You will find the challenge here.

I recently bought the Walter & Abby image from the very talented Michelle & promised to give them a new home.  :)  Well, here it is, so welcome to Abby & Walter's:-


The challenge is all about cutting.  Apart from the punched garden greenery & the doorknobs, all my cutting has been done by hand with either small scissors or a scalpel.  (Oops, sorry I forgot I used a border punch for the bottom of the curtain!)

Come inside, Walter is waiting for you:-


& here is Abby:-


 Here's a close up of Walter (isn't he adorable?):-



Here are some of the fine details:-

Well, this little creation is just something I wanted to try for fun.  The whole thing folds shut to a 5x5 inch card with the floors folding up either side of the central wall.  All the straight edges were cut with a ruler & scalpel.  To get the curved edges in the floors I cut around an upturned dinner plate!  There is acetate in the window & the curtain is cut from vellum.  I added the spotty pattern to the curtain with a white glaze pen to co-ordinate with the dotty pattern on the "carpet".  All the balloons have been given a coating of Crystal Effects to give them a nice glossy finish.  They are "anchored" to the balloon weights & to Walter's tail with a single strand of fibre from soft kitchen string.  (Looks good but it breaks easily!!!)

The birdcage in Walter's room has been stamped straight onto the wall & coloured up with a silver gel pen.  The floor boards were created on the white cardstock with pencils, watercolour pencils & stamp pad ink.  The boards & nails were added last with a chocolate stamping marker.

Walter, Abby & the stack of presents were laser printed onto watercolour paper & coloured with stamp pad inks, watercolour pencils & an aquapainter.  They have had clear glaze & glitter pen highlights added to them.  They are all "popped up" on dimensionals.  Some "architectural highlights" include the door panelling (chalk edged rectangles) & wood panelling in Abby's room.  The "wallpaper" is a single flower stamp, that I stamped repeatedly with the help of my trusty stamp positioner!!!

Hope you enjoyed your visit with Abby & Walter!

The inspiration for the colour theme came from JAI's last challenge (see my post here).  I love these colours together, so used them as a starting point for the project.  :)

Card Components:
Cardstock:  Whisper White, Tempting Turquoise, Kiwi Kiss, Rich Razzleberry, Melon Mambo
DSP:  Sorry, not sure what it's called, but it's retired SU
Stamps:  Abby & Walter's Birthday Wish (Michelle Perkett), ? 2010 Sale-A-Bration Set (SU), Balloons from Sock Monkey (SU)
Inks:  Tempting Turquoise, Kiwi Kiss, Rich Razzleberry, Chocolate Chip Marker, Blush Blossom, So Saffron, Close to Cocoa, Basic Black, Pretty In Pink, Pumpkin Pie
Other:  Watercolour Pencils, Acetate, Crystal Effects, Glitter Pen, White & Clear Glaze Pens, Scallop Edge Punch, Fern Punch, Flower Punch, Office Hole Punch, Silver & Gold Gel Pens, Kitchen String, Dimensional Adhesives

7 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG, Helen, this is un believably adorable!! I want it!!:) How cute is this!?!:) Such an amazing and imaginative piece of art, Helen! I cant get over all the details, the window box in front with all the flowers, the curtains and wallpaper and of course cute little Walter and Abby!! This is fabulous, Helen! Thank you so much for such a creative entry to our challenge at MPS this week!!:)

Hugs,

Michelle

Pattie G said...

Helen, I am sooo impressed with your creation. It is spectacular and so creative. Thanks for joining us this week at MPSC. I am still in awe...

Hugs
Pattie

Lynne Armstrong said...

WOW, WOW & MORE WOW!!!! You've outdone yourself with this one Helen :) I hope it's going to sit on top of your cabinet, to be admired forever lol! It's a GORGEOUS, STUNNING, AMAZING creation. Is it a card? Are they fold lines I see in the floor? All 'round super cute :)
Hugs :)

Tammy said...

OMG!!!! This is absolutely one of the most awesome projects I have EVER SEEN!! What a wonderful entry. WOW....all the detail that you have added is just stunning!!! I don't think I have enough expletives to tell you how I feel about this FABULOUS work of art!!!

Thank you for joining us at Michelle Perkett Studio, Helen!!!!

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh wow Helen, this is sooo great. I love the whole thing. Thanks for joining this week.

ileana said...

Ohhhh Helen!! I´m completely speechless!! this is the most amazing thing I ever saw! every single detail is just the perfect one, I´m sure you spent a wonderful time creating it, it shows! all the love you put in it can be easily seen.
A WONDERFUL creation, Helen! Thanks for joining us this week and sharing that amazing talent of yours. Hugs,

Christine Blain said...

Helen, this one put a HUGE smile on my face. Your incredible vision, to see this project through from start to beautiful finish, is very impressive! I love all the little details (especially the curtain, and the door panels). You are altogether TOO clever!